Students should come to school dressed for the important work of education. Our goal as a school community is to ensure that all children reach their full potential academically, socially and emotionally. Our dress code will help us to do that by enabling students to be safe and free from distractions. This dress code applies to all students at the Joyce Kilmer K-8 School.
- Students should be neat and clean at all times.
- No hats or head coverings should be worn in the school building. Head coverings worn for religious reasons are allowed.
- No flip-flops, platform shoes, heelies, or sandals without heel straps should be worn to school. They pose a serious safety risk as groups of children go up and down stairs.
- No tank tops, muscle shirts, or spaghetti straps. No low-cut clothing.
- Any clothing that is violent, sexual, related to alcohol, tobacco, or firearms, or is insulting to others is strictly prohibited. No “joke” shirts.
- All midriffs -- front and back -- need to be covered at all times.
- No undergarments should be visible at any time, including recess.
- No writing on pants, particularly across the backside of pants.
- Pants should be worn at the waist.
- All shorts and skirts must fall below mid-thigh. No running shorts.
- The hem on pants should not fall noticeably below the heel of the student.
- No ripped or torn clothing.
- Students who do not follow the dress code will be given appropriate clothing to wear while at school, which must be returned to the office.